20071205

Psalm 39

SM

I said, I'll watch my way,
From sin keep my tongue free;
A muzzle on my mouth I'll lay,
While sinners are with me.

But when I silent stood,
From movement having ceased,
Not even saying one thing good,
My anguish it increased.

My heart grew hot in me,
As I did meditate,
The fire it burned; my tongue ran free
With words I now relate:

Lord, show me my life's end,
The number of my days;
Let me know just how soon I'll spend
My life, its earthly phase.

You've made my days to be
The merest hand in breadth;
My years' span you pass easily,
And each life's but a breath.

A phantom, that is man,
As he goes to and fro.
He heaps up wealth, bustles in vain -
For whom, he does not know.

Lord, what would I now see?
My hope to you it flies.
From my transgressions set me free;
Let fools not me despise.

Silent; my mouth was bound -
It's you who has this planned.
Remove from me your scourge. I'm downed
By blows from your own hand.

You charge men and you scold,
It is because of sin;
As a moth you consume their gold -
He's but a breath, each man.

Please hear, O Lord, my prayer,
My cry for help hear tell;
Be deaf not to my tears but care.
An alien here I dwell.

I am an alien,
Like those who came before.
Look from me, make me glad again
Before I am no more.

No comments: