20070831

Psalm 18b

St Denio

The faithful they see that you’re faithful that’s sure,
The blameless your blameless, of that their assured,
The pure know that to them you show yourself pure,
But crooked men see that with them you are shrewd.

The humble you save but the haughty-eyed fall.
Lord, you keep my lamp bright; my God makes dark light.
With help from my God I can scale any wall
With your help I can, Lord, against a troop fight.

As for God, his way's right; not flawed, the Lord's Word.
A shield he for all, he's their refuge from harm.
Who's God but the Lord? Who's the Rock but our God?
God makes my way perfect, with strength he'll me arm.

He makes my feet firm like those of a gazelle;
Enabling me unmoved to stand on a height.
A bronze bow my strong arms can bend very well,
My hands he trains well and prepares them to fight.

You give me your shield, your shield of victory,
Your right hand sustains me; you stoop, I'm made great.
You broaden the path that is underneath me,
So that I don’t suffer a sprain to my feet.

My foes I pursued and I overtook them;
I did not turn back till they fell in defeat.
I crushed them so that they could not rise again;
All of them fell prostrate, fell under my feet.

You armed me with strength in the battle to fight;
You made my adversaries bow at my feet.
You made all my rivals turn their backs in flight,
And all my opponents I brought to defeat.

They cried out for help, but none saves them or sees –
They cried to the Lord, but no answer he gave.
I beat them as fine as the dust on the breeze;
I poured them like mud in the streets wave on wave.

Though people attacked, you have now set me free;
I’m set over nations as head by your hands;
Those I did not know are now subject to me.
As soon as they hear me, they meet my demands.

These foreigners cringe and before me they cry,
All trembling from strongholds, no heart left, they flee,
The Lord lives! Praise my Rock! Lift my Saviour high!
He is the God who has come to avenge me.

He subdues the nations, puts them under me,
And he rescues and saves from each enemy.
Above all my foes you have exalted me
And from violent men you have set me free.

So you among nations all, O Lord, I’ll praise;
Your name I sing. He gives his king great success;
Unfailing the love that to the Christ he shows,
To David and his sons for all of their days.

No comments: