20080714

Psalm 50

CMD

True God, the Lord, the Mighty One,
He tells the earth to come
From where begins the rising sun,
To where the sun goes down.
From Zion, perfect beauty see -
God shines in bright array.
Our God comes forth; mute he'll not be,
For he has things to say.

Before him raging flames devour,
Around him tempests rage.
The heav'ns above, him stand before,
And earth, that he may judge:
“Bring me my sons of holiness,
Who gave their gifts in pledge.”
The heav'ns proclaim his righteousness,
For God himself is judge.

Hear, O my people, I’ll declare,
O Israel, this rebuke,
I'm God, your God, O be aware,
Hear me against you speak.
I don’t reprove for sacrifice
Or off'rings that you've made.
They're ever set before my eyes.
I do not need your aid.

Goats from your pens I do not need
Nor bulls out of your stalls.
Each woodland beast is mine indeed,
Herds on a thousand hills.
The mountain birds I know them too,
All beasts I own in fields.
If hungry I would not tell you,
Earth's mine and all it yields.

The flesh of bullocks do I eat
Drink blood from goats do I?
Give God thank-offerings of meat,
Keep vows to the Most High.
And call upon me in the day
When troubles great you see;
I will deliver you, I say,
And you will honour me.

But to the wicked, God he speaks,
“And what right makes it yours
To take my cov'nant on your lips
Or to recite my laws?
Yes, my instruction you so hate
My words behind you throw.
You'll with a thief associate,
You'll with adult'rers go.”

“You use your mouth for evil crimes,
Your tongue it lies, what shame.
You've smeared your brother many times,
Your mother's son defame.
These things you've done and mute I stayed;
You thought me just like you.
But by me charges will be laid,
You'll see me confront you.”

Consider this and think it through,
All you who God forget:
Or into shreds I will tear you,
With none to rescue yet.
The one who will thank-off'rings slay
He seeks to honour me.
The way he readies so he may
By God be then set free.

No comments: