20071004

Psalm 35b

Psalm 35:11-24

11 11 11 11

Witnesses so ruthless come forward and speak;
Seek answers to questions on things I don't know.
To me with their evil my good they pay back,
They leave my soul feeling so sad and so low.

Yet when they were unwell, in sackcloth I dressed
And eating no food I would humbly bend.
When my prayers came back to me all unaddressed,
Mournful I was as for a brother or friend.

Head bowed, I wept, as for my mother, in grief,
But then when I stumbled, they gathered in glee.
They slandered me often - there was no relief
Attackers quite hidden were grouped against me.

Just like the ungodly they mocked viciously;
With their teeth they gnashed at me ferociously.
How long, O Lord, will you look on? Rescue me!
May my precious life from li'ns' mauling saved be.

I'll give thanks to you in the great assembly;
Praise I will give you amid gatherings great.
Let them not gloat who without reason hate me;
The mean winks ban of those who without cause hate.

They do not speak peace, but they slander prepare
Against those who quietly live in the land.
Aha! and Aha! they call. At me they stare,
With our eyes we've seen it, we've seen it first hand.

O Lord, you have seen this; cease from your silence.
Far from me, I ask you, O Lord, do not be.
Awake and rise up and come to my defence!
My God and my Lord come and contend for me.

In righteousness, O Lord my God, vindicate;
From their boastful glee let them be disallowed
'Aha, what we want!' let them not thus relate.
May they not say here's one that we have swallowed.

Shame and confuse those who at my troubles gloat;
Clothe with disgrace, with shame, those who self exalt,
May those who in my vindication delight
May these men for joy and for gladness all shout.

The Lord be exalted, may they always say,
He who in his servant's well-being delights.
My tongue of your praise will speak all the long day
It will not cease speaking of your righteousness.

No comments: